Make Sure to Keep Your TAP Eligibility!

Many students at Stony Brook University rely on TAP funding to help pay for their expenses. Therefore, it is imperative that students stay up to date on the eligibility requirements of the TAP program. Here are the eligibility requirements as of November 20th, 2017.

An applicant must:

  • be a legal resident of NYS and have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months;
  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen;
  • have graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma by passing a Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) formally known as a GED, or passed a federally approved “Ability to Benefit” test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department;
  • study at an approved postsecondary institution in New York State;
  • be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing with at least a “C” average as of the 4th semester payment
  • be enrolled as a full-time student taking twelve or more credits applicable toward the degree program, per semester;
  • be charged at least $200 tuition per year;
  • meet income eligibility limitations;
  • not be in default on any state or federal student loans and not be in default on any repayment of State awards;
  • be in compliance with the terms of any service condition imposed by a NYS award.

* Credit-bearing courses in the student’s minimum full-time course load (12 semester hours or the
equivalent) must consist of courses applicable to the student’s program of study as a general
education requirement, major requirement, or elective.

Most students who are residents of New York State should be able to meet a good amount of these requirements off the bat. The one requirement that might be out of their control is the income eligibility limitations.  The TAP Income Limits are as follows: $80,000 for dependent undergrads, $40,000 for independent undergrad students who are married and have no other tax dependents, and $10,000 for Single independent undergrad students with no tax dependents.

For refrerence, the official web page for TAP can be found here:


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s