We hope all you Seawolves are having a good summer so far! We apologize for getting the monthly scholarship list out a bit late again this month. However, there are several with due dates at the end of the month, so you still have time to get your applications in!
Internal Stony Brook Scholarships:
None this month.
Quit Smoking Community Scholarship: Deadline 7/21/17
- Award amount $1,000. If you have something special to share wit the world that can help bring awareness to the hazards of smoking, you should apply for this scholarship! You have to write a 750-1500 word essay on a topic relevant to smoking-related problems and share your vision on how to inspire more smokers to quit. Check out the website for the details and application form.
The Whirlwind Steel Buildings Scholarship: Deadline 7/31/17
- Award amount $1,000. This organization is an advocate of higher education and is seeking to help a current or prospective construction,m engineering, or architecture student relieve some financial stress in the upcoming school year. You need to have a 3.0 GPA, write a 500-word essay on who/what inspired you to enter a construction related field, and create a 60-second video. Visit the site for details.
Hawkins Spizeman Kilgo, LLC Childhood Cancer Awareness Scholarship: Deadline 7/31/17
- Award amount $1,000. If you are currently enrolled or have been accepted to an accredited college or university (undergrad or grad), you are a survivor of childhood cancer yourself or a loved one has been directly affected by childhood cancer, and you have a minimum 2.8 GPA, you should take a look at this one. The website has the application details and instructions.
UNIGO Flavor of the Month Scholarship: Deadline 7/31/17
- Award amount $1,500. UNIGO needs help picking out a “Flavor of the Month” for their famous ice cream scholarship. In 250 words or less, submit a response to the question: “Summer and ice cream go hand-in-hand. In fact, July is National Ice Cream Month, and that’s the inspiration behind this award. We think people are very similar to ice cream; some are nutty, others a little exotic, while some are very comforting. If you were an ice cream flavor, which would you be and why?” You could could scoop up a sweet scholarship if you’re the winner!
Carr & Weatherby LLP Scholarship for At-Risk Youth: Deadline 7/31/17
- Award amount $1,000. This scholarship is designed to help students who are homeless or who have experienced homelessness, including at-risk, foster care and/or youth with critical financial needs. You need to have a minimum 2.8 GPA and write an essay of 250 words or less on 1 of the 3 topics to choose from. Please visit the website for more information and how to apply.
Ernst Law Group Brain Injury Caregivers Scholarship: Deadline 7/31/17
- Award amount $1,000. This scholarship is meant to help one deserving student whose life has been touched by a loved one’s brain injury. You need to have a minimum 2.8 GPA, are or have been a caregiver of someone living with a serious brain injury and write an essay of 250 words or less on 1 of the 3 questions on the website.
CouponChief.com Scholarship Program: Deadline 7/31/17
- Award amount $1,000. Coupon Chief wants to support young leaders that understand frugality and saving money, and how the skills and knowledge of using coupons can contribute to that end. Create a 2-5 minute video that conveys how you personally save money as a college student. Check out the website for full details.
Body Details Scholarship for Aspiring Professionals: Deadline 7/31/17
- Award amount $1,000. Body Details True Laser Hair and Tattoo Removal is laser focused on helping individuals improve their self image and peace of mind. They know that students and aspiring professionals in any field benefit from improvements in self esteem and professionalism that is achieved by the removal of embarrassing body hair or tattoos. They are pleased to offer a semi-annual $1,000 scholarship for an aspiring professional in any field seeking a degree.
The FurnaceCompare.com Climate Change Scholarship: Deadline 7/31/17
- Award amount $1,000. This scholarship is designed to support undergraduate students that are looking for ways to fight climate change by improving the systems and/or equipment that we rely on to keep our homes and businesses comfortable. Write a 500 word essay that answers: How can we most rapidly reduce the impact of global climate change through improvements in the systems and/or equipment that we use to heat and cool our homes and businesses? Explain how your current or prospective course of study influences your answer. Visit the website for requirements and submission details.
Redfin Scholarship: Deadline 7/31/17
- Award amount $2,500. This next-generation real estate brokerage wants to help one student on his her journey through higher education. To apply, in 300-500 words, answer the following: The place (or places) where we were raised often have a profound effect on who we become as adults. What effect has the community that you were raised in had on who you are today? Head over to the website for other requirements and instructions.
U.S. Self Storage College Scholarship: Deadline 7/31/17
- Award amount $1,000. USSelfStorage.com understands that college can be very expensive and paying for it sometimes is a big challenge. Open to both undergraduate and graduate students, apply by writing a 500-600 word essay that is fun and entertaining about self storage (real or fiction) or what you would use a self storage unit for and what you would store in it. Easy right? Check out the details.
Diet Pills Watchdog Scholarship Program: Deadline 7/31/17
- Award amount $3,000 for primary recipient, two secondary awards of $1,000. Applicants will be asked to provide a 3000-word essay and will be judged on their critical thinking, analysis and thought process. They must plan to attend a post-secondary institution and plan to major in a public health field such as medicine, nursing, health management, health research or pharmacy. The subject of the essay is: Will the scrapping of Obamacare have a detrimental effect on the health of United States citizens? Head over to the website for additional info and details.
Steinger, Iscoe & Greene Law Scholarship for Child Advocates: Deadline 7/31/17
- Award amount $1,000. The law firm of Steinger, Iscoe & Greene dedicates a large part of their practice to helping families who have faced child abuse in any form. This scholarship is for a child advocate or abuse survivor seeking a law degree. You don’t have to be enrolled in a law program right now, but you would have to be planning to attend law school next year. Visit the website for essay topics and application process.
Steinger, Iscoe & Greene Latin Heritage Law Student Scholarship: Deadline 7/31/17
- Award amount $1,000. The law firm of Steinger, Iscoe & Greene has worked to represent those injured by the carelessness and negligence of others and to help victims and their families get back on their feet. They believe that young Latino and Latina leaders are capable of innovation and creative new approaches to law, business and community concerns. They believe that these young leaders have a great cultural heritage to draw upon as well as unique individual experiences of their own. Their hope is that the practice of law provides a means for these leaders to reach their full potential and transform our shared community. They are offering this scholarship to one student of Hispanic descent seeking to obtain a law degree. You don’t have to be enrolled in a law program right now, but you have to be planning to attend law school. Visit the website for essay topics and application process.
The Investor Junkie $2,000 Scholarship Program: Deadline 7/31/17
- Award amounts – First place $1,000, second place $750, third place $250. Investor Junkie is dedicated to helping individuals make better financial decisions. To apply for this scholarship you have to write a 800-1,600 word essay on 1 of 4 questions about personal finance. See the website for details.
Abrahamson & Uiterwyk Scholarship Essay Contest: Deadline 7/31/17
- Award amount $1,500. Applicants must write a 500-750 word essay on the topic of distracted driving by creating a “distracted driving family plan” where you address the safety of your family by proactively committing to a plan that avoids the occurrence(s) of distracted driving by you and the members of your family. The website lists the key components that need to be included in the essay as well as the other application steps. Check it out if you’re interested.
UpNature’s Scholarship for Nursing and Medicine Students: Deadline 6/29/17
- Award amount $1,000. For students in nursing, medicine, biosciences, dentistry, or any other area related to health & medicine. Write a short essay of 500 words or less about your career aspirations and how you plan to contribute to your chosen field in the future.
Taliesin Nexus MFA Scholarship Program: Deadline 7/31/17
- Award amount $4,000. The MFA Scholarship program offers grants for storytellers (writers and filmmakers) pursuing degrees in Masters in Fine Arts. The award recognizes applicants of demonstrated talent in their craft and a commitment to exploring themes of liberty, broadly imagined, in their works. Scholarship winners will be automatically accepted into Taliesin Nexus’ Calliope Authors Workshop (or the Apollo Workshop, if more applicable). The workshops are entirely free, including tuition and room and board. They also provide travel stipends of up to around $300 for those coming from out of state. Visit the website for details.
*External scholarships are not affiliated with Stony Brook University. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services compiles this resource list for convenience only. We cannot attest to the validity of these external scholarships. Always use caution when disclosing personal information.