We’re human, and there’s nothing we can do about it. Sometimes, we’re so busy with work or school that we forget to check the date and don’t realize that a holiday is quickly approaching. But, in times like these, the internet is always there to try and help.
We want to try and ease your anxiety by giving you some last minute, money saving ideas for cards/gifts for him or her. Even though these are last minute, inexpensive ideas, do not think that they mean any less than a fancy dinner or an expensive piece of jewelry. For most people, especially on Valentine’s Day, it is really the amount of thought you put into the gift, rather than the amount of money you spent on it, that will make your significant other happy and show them how much you care. It is the idea that you took the time out of your day and busy schedule to make this card or this gift rather than simply buying one from the store.
We hope that, with our ideas, you will be inspired to make some gifts or even just a really nice card for that special someone.
- The Best Date Jar from The Realistic Mama. This is a great idea. It is inexpensive, and, yet, with the right ideas, can be a great opportunity for you to show how much you know and care about your special someone. All you need is a mason jar and some (two or three) colored strips of paper. After that, you just need some ideas for dates, and you’re all set! For more details and information, check out their website.
- Words of Affirmation from Life Lives Here. This idea is amazing. All you need to do it are post-it notes and some ideas. So, not only is it inexpensive, but also, the wonderful things that you can write on post-it notes are practically endless. Think of the reasons why you love him/her and affirm those reasons by writing them down. As seen in the picture below, you can make your affirmations into a heart, but you can also think of other ways to present this to your loved one. You can spread them around your house for him/her to find, or you can put them in his/her backpack or briefcase or purse so that they will find it at a random time of the day. Don’t be shy with this idea and try to get creative! There are so many possibilities. Check out their website to get some ideas!
- 3-D Valentine’s Day Accordion Cards from Martha Stewart. If you’re like we are, then you have trouble being creative. You are self-conscious about your creation, or you simply don’t want to make anything at all because you don’t think it will be good enough. Well, lucky for you (and us) there are plenty of resources for those of us who are lacking in creativity. Martha Stewart has FREE printable templates and directions on how to make cute Valentine’s Day cards. Never underestimate the power of a homemade card. Put some time and effort into it, write something nice for her/him, and you could make the day even more spectacular. Check out the website for more information and directions.
- Valentine’s Day Treat Bags from White Gunpowder. This is a really simply one, girls and guys. All you need for this project is notebook paper, a glue stick, scissors, and some cute stickers. Basically, it is a little treat bag filled with candies, stickers, notes, almost anything you want! For more information and details about how to make this awesome DIY project, make sure to check out their website.
- Memory Jar from She’s Crafty. I really love this idea, and it is so simple, but can mean so much. All you need for this idea is a mason jar and some memories (perhaps a movie or concert ticket stub). That’s all! Make the mason jar look nice, perhaps paint it or decorate it in some way that is meaningful, but once that’s done, collect some of the movie ticket stubs you’ve collected (we all know you have) and put them in the jar. I think this is a really nice gift because it not only shows you where you’ve been together, but also it shows you where you can go together! For more info, check out their website.
Just a side-note here: If you’re a college student, like us, you may be wondering where you can easily acquire a mason jar. In general, you can get them from many different places including Target ($10-$12 for 12 jars), Ace Hardware ($13 for 6 jars), and, even, Amazon ($6 for 1 jar). Yes, you can order the mason jar right to your dorm room or house (depending on whether you are a commuter or living on campus). Most importantly, though, if you are an Amazon Prime member (which is quite affordable for students), then you can get the jar in 2 days! And, of course, for all of our Seawolves out there, you can use any of these options, but you can also go to Fratelli’s Bagel Express, order some coffee and keep the jar! The big day is approaching, so see which option is best for you!
Well folks, that’s it for this list. But, remember, it’s not the amount of money you spent or the size of the gift, that’s important. What’s important is the thought that goes into the gift, and the idea that you are taking some time out of your schedule to make these gifts. Show that special someone that you listen to them and know them, and we can almost guarantee that your Valentine’s Day will be filled with happiness. If you find any other gift/card ideas, share them with us! We’d love to hear about them in the comment section below! We hope you all have a wonderful, love-filled Valentine’s Day and, as always, stay SAVVY!