School is out. The week is almost over. Monday is the Memorial Day holiday which, for many, is the unofficial kick off to summer. So how can you take advantage of what is sure to be an awesome, long, holiday weekend when you’re on a budget? Never fear. Savvy Student is here! I’ve got your top 6 free things to do on Long Island.
- Marine and Navy Helicopter Landing. Eisenhower Park. Head out and watch the Navy helicopters land around 10am Saturday at the largest park in Nassau County. Marine helicopters will perform a demonstration and landing at 12pm. Parking and the event are free.
- Memorial Day Fireworks. North Hempstead Beach. Check out the tribute ceremony to fallen troops at 6pm on Saturday, live music performances and firework show. The show is free but parking costs money.
- Mosaic Street Painting Festival. Riverhead. Celebrate the 19th annual Community Mosiac Street Painting Festival in downtown Riverhead from 12-5pm. There will be street painting, live music, drumming, dance, theater and more!
- Memorial Day Parade. Almost every town is having a Memorial Day parade on Saturday, Sunday or Monday. Montauk has theirs on Sunday from 12-2, Centereach has theirs on Sunday at 12:30, and Setauket is holding theirs on Monday at 11am. Check with your town to see when their parade starts.
- iFly Flying Trapeze and Aerial show. Long Beach. Watch the Memorial Day show on the boardwalk, Saturday at 8pm.
- Jones Beach Air Show. The event is free, but parking is not. Pack your friends in the car and split the $10 parking fee. This is a huge event that attracts almost 200,000 people. Get there early and check out the military air show that gets everyone talking.
It’s going to be a gorgeous weekend here on Long Island. Don’t limit yourself to just these actual events. Head to the park for an impromptu picnic. Sit on a beach and watch the sunset. Go for a long walk in the neighborhood and enjoy the fresh air. Grab a soccer ball and your friends for an impromptu game.
Comment below with your weekend plans!